Although we are fortunate enough to have a cottage, we still enjoy at least two or three camping trips each summer. We usually convert our Dodge Caravan into a quasi camper van, turning it into a nice dry, secure place to sleep.
We also usually camp in recognized campgrounds, not just in the woods. But that is where the amenities end, the rest of our camping is pretty much outdoors, “roughing it” as the expression goes.
Over the years we have found some camping accessories that are helpful additions to the camping gear and make our camping experiences a little more comfortable. Because, afterall, that is really what you and I want right, to have a fun camping trip that is also relaxing and comfortable.
With that in mind, here are ten things that we find very useful for weekend camping.
1) Coleman PVC Double Wash Basin, This handy portable double sink allows for washing your dishes on one side and rinsing them in clear water on the other. Very handy, just sit it on the picnic table and you are good to go.
2) Reliance Products 5 Gallon Poly-Bagged Fold-A-Carrier Collapsible Water Carrier Great way to store water, and on the way home, you can dump it out and fold the container for easy storage.
3) Coleman Pack-Away Kitchen Friends of ours have one of these folding kitchens and it is very practical, especially for van or tent camping.
4) Folding Camping Survival Shovel with Pick
I actually had to buy one of these during a camping trip in Prince Edward Island a couple of years ago. The rain was so intense I needed a shovel to dig a trench around our picnic table and screen tent to draw the rainwater away. This little shovel turned out to be perfect, and it too folds up for easy storage.
5) Coleman PefectFlow 1-Burner Stove
I recently wrote another post about these handy one burner propane stoves, suffice to say I love ours.
6) Coleman PerfectFlow InstaStart 2-Burner Stove
If we didn’t have one of these propane stoves….well we wouldn’t go camping…easy to use, safe and efficient.
7) Reliance Products Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet
OK, so this might not be fun, but boy does this come in handy….especially late at night after too many barbecued doritos or s’mores. Even in a campground with washrooms or outhouses, having one of these portable toilets can save some walking.
8) Stansport Cabana Privacy Shelter, Green/Tan This goes well with number 7 above but is also handy as a place to change your clothes with some privacy.
9) Lifeline 85 Piece First Aid Kit (Red)
I wouldn’t go camping without a good first aid kit included in our camping gear.
10) Swiss Gear Smart Shade 10- by 10-Foot Screenhouse Another camping accessory that I would not leave home without. These screenrooms are great as a place to get out of the sun or rain, provide a place to put your gear while you are out touring the country in your vehicle, or sit with friends in the evening. I love ours and you will too.
There ya go, some great camping gear, what did I miss?